How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2726
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owned property and was renting it with a signed 2 year lease.

This answer was rated:

I owned property and was renting it with a signed 2 year lease. Before the 2 years was up, my tenants owed me over $8000 and I sent a letter last October(2012) of my intent to evict them if they did not pay me half of the money owed by the end of the month. Well, they moved out on or about December 1, 2012 with out letting me know. They also did not pay the last 2 months rent, or trash for over a year. I had to pay the water & sewer bill that was way past due. They also left the oil tank bone dry(it was full the day they moved in)as a result my heat pipe in the dining room burst from being frozen. They also left the place uninhabitable. How do I proceed from here. It's taken me this long to find them through a PI.
Hi and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. I am happy to help. What county is the rental property? Let me know so I can see how I can help. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Montgomery County, PA

Hi again:

Sorry that this has happened to you. Fortunately, you found the defendants as now that is who they are because you will be bringing a lawsuit against them if you decide to proceed.

The court that has jurisdiction in landlord/tenant matters is the Montgomery County Magisterial District Courts: You need to find the district court closest to the renal property.

Because the defendants already vacated the premises, you will proceed with an action for monetary judgment for rent which is past due and the damages to the premises. Both issues can be processed on the same complaint.

Here is the link that discusses the steps:

Please note that you can talk to the court clerk who can help you with the basics for the procedure as outlined in the link.

If you need clarification, or want to clarify your question, or have a follow up question, please let me know.

Best regards,


Damien Bosco and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

I just want to thank you for giving me a positive rating. I am here to help you in the future also. You can request me by name the next time and I will be notified. Also, you can bookmark my profile and ask me a question that way. Here is the link:

Either way, I am always happy to help.

Best Regards!

Damien Bosco