How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  I have practiced law for 25 yrs. with an emphasis on real estate, business law, criminal defense and family law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I own a house in Kansas and allow my boyfriend and his daughter

This answer was rated:

If I own a house in Kansas and allow my boyfriend and his daughter move in and something was to happen to me does he take ownership of my house or would my mother and my son still get it. And how hard would it be to make him leave if they needed to.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,



Allowing your boyfriend to lice in your house does not give him any ownership interest in the property. He would have no more rights than a tenant would have to property he is occupying. If something were to happen to you, he still would have no interest other than that of a tenant. If he had a lease with you, and something were to happen to you, the lease would continue until the expiration of the lease term. If he does not pay rent during the lease term, your mother would start Eviction proceedings and would ask the Court to enter an Eviction Order and give your mother possession of the house.


If he had no lease and he stopped paying rent, then your mother would give him 30-days written notice too vacate. If he did not leave by the 30th day, your mother would start Eviction Proceedings the way I explained above and ask the Judge to give her possession of the property.


The only way that your boyfriend would have more than a tenant's interest in the property is I you included his name on the deed, but other than that, your boyfriend would be nothing more than a tenant, so you have nothing to worry about,


Please be kind enough to give a rating of "Excellent Service" because that is the only way that I will receive credit for my time and effort in researching your question and furnishing you with Answers. It will not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating,



If you receive a survey from JustAnswer in a few days, please be kind enough to rate me highly,



Positive Feedback and Bonus are always appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you