How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7085
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What right does a sewer and water authority have to require

This answer was rated:

What right does a sewer and water authority have to require pressure testing of my sanitary sewer line beneath the foundation of my residence?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Where in Pennsylvania is your property located.


DEP gets their authority under the laws of the State of Pennsylvania.


This may be a code requirement?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Richland Township, Cambria County, I believe that the sewer authority is requiring more than the Dep Mandate requires.

I will check local codes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There may be a local ordinance enacted but I still question the authority using that to test and possibly modify piping that is in my residence (beneath the foundation)

Each governing body has the power and authority to subscribe their own laws and codes. This is granted under the police powers in each state. This test appears to be common practice throughout the state.

I think this case this is an international building code standard.

Is this a test that could cause damage to your property?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just the pressure test would cost several hundred dollars, and if it does not pass the work to replace the pipes beneath my basement would cause damage to the basement floor and several thousand dollars to replace pipes and the destroyed concrete floor and flooring, (the basement is fully finished)

I understand.

The requirement has been adopted from the IPC Section 312 which is the requirement in your county.

It appears that they have the ability to waive this requirement if they choose to do so.

You may wish to see if you can get them to waive the requirement. Otherwise it may be worthwhile to obtain the services of a land use attorney in the area to convince those in power to make an exception.

I wish I could waive the requirement for you.
Attyadvisor and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help, it gives me an avenue to pursue that I didn'nt know about before.

Best of luck. Let me know what happens.