How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7210
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can someone buy property at sheriff sale and then change

This answer was rated:

how can someone buy property at sheriff sale and then change locks before they have deed in hand. in PA
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

my mother passed away. the house wasn't in her name Who is on title to the house? it sold at sheriff sale on monday. Friday I went to retrieve her and late husbands belongings. to find locks changed on house. how can that be when all they have is a bill of sale. and 10% down. can I get the belongings out.

Who was living in the house? It is not proper for the locks to be changed at this time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nobody was living in house. only belongings was in house. all utilities were shut off. I found out it was sold monday and made arrangements to get belongings out today. and found locks were changed.

can you tell me who was on the title to the home?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

her late husbands name and his mothers name and both are.deceased

And no estate was ever opened to have the property placed in your mom's name?

Do you have anything that proves ownership on your mother's behalf?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

old utility bills in her name. thats all

You will want to have a copy of the death certificate and any other documentation that shows that your mom lived at the property address. You will contact the Sheriff and advise them that your mother was residing in the home and that all her belongings remain the home and that the Purchaser at the Sheriff's sale has unlawfully changed the locks.

If the Sheriff will not assist you a court order may need to be obtained.

The Purchaser has no right to possession at this time.

Attyadvisor and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Let me know if you have any issues with the Sheriff and we will go from there.

Thank you.