Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My perfectly good, wood laminant floor was removed to get to

a broken pipe under the...
My perfectly good, wood laminant floor was removed to get to a broken pipe under the concrete slab. The HOA's insurance will not put the floor back and MY insurance will not cover a new floor to be installed. What do I do?
9/14/2013
Ray, Lawyer

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.You may want to send a demand letter here for the cost of reinstalling it to the HOA threatening small claims if they do not pay you for the amount of your losses.

RayAnswers :

Here the limits for small claims is $5k.

RayAnswers :

Reference to small claims

RayAnswers :

Here you argue the HOA is liable.If their insurance doesn't cover it then it doesn't mean they don't have to pay.

RayAnswers :

I would send the demand letter to the HOA president if they don't pay in say 30 days file small claims.You will need an estimate of the cost to replace it and take pics too of the problem.All of this helps you in small claims to show the judge what all you have been through.

RayAnswers :

It is very likely they pay up hopefully without you filing suit.

RayAnswers :

Here are self help forms and information about filing suit in small claims.

RayAnswers :

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.I know it can be frustrating and overwhelming sometimes.

RayAnswers :

You do have remedies here first a demand letter to the HOA and then file small claims if you cannot resolve it.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to chat with you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer