Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Ive lived in this apartment for 4 years with no missing rent. When

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years with no missing rent.
When I asked the leasing office to put my new husband on my lease, they said they have to run a credit check and criminal check about him. I understand about the criminal check but is it legal for running a credit check even if I've lived here for over 4 years?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I understand about the criminal check but is it legal for running a credit check even if I've lived here for over 4 years?
.
Yes, it would be entirely legal for the landlord to require both a credit and criminal background check on any "new" tenant who was added to the lease contract.
.
Does it make sense in your situation?...Not at all since you have already been there 4 years and presumably nothing would change with your tenancy other than adding him to the lease. But if they want to require it as a condition of adding him, then they would be legally allowed to do so.
.
As an aside, I have also been a landlord for over 24 years...
.
.
Thanks