Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

In Fla. Must there be listed a Breach on Note as a separate

count (i.e. count two or...
In Fla. Must there be listed a Breach on Note as a separate count (i.e. count two or count three) but part of the foreclosure complaint. Must a separate count that says a person failed to pay on promissory note ... be listed (as a separate count from the "foreclosure" count to get possession / title) in order for a lender / plaintiff to seek a deficiency judgment on the note balance ... in the after the sale deficiency hearing.
9/8/2013
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

The Note and Mortgage can be named in the same count together.

Must a separate count that says a person failed to pay on promissory note ... be listed

Generally there is a count that states that the borrower defaulted under the note and mortgage.

Can you clarify your question regarding the Note and possession? Do you have a can attach?

What I heard was ... the lender / plaintiff ... must have counts like this

Count (1) foreclosure, Count (2) breach of the promissory note.

if they want to chase a person for a deficency on the note after the sale.

True ? Goal here is the know ... if they are barred from chasing me (for a deficiency) ... since they only had count one (1)

I see this was on a deficiency judgment. I apologize for my confusion. I will opt out as I will be off line for the afternoon.
Relist: Other.
expert opted out
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

What you heard about separate counts is incorrect. Separate counts are not mandatory. The default on the note and the existence of the mortgage security can all be alleged in a single count, i.e. legal paragraph of the complaint. The deficiency judgment can issue pending the result of the sale.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

ok, thanks. And to clarify the new Fla law that the lender has one year to file for a deficiency. if a mtg foreclosure case was filed in late 2008, and goes to final judgement in October 2013 (After the new 2013 Fla law with the one year time to seek a deficiency) .... does this new one year rule apply to seek a deficiency apply to this case that is settled / final judgment in October 2013 / after the new Fla law (summer of 2013) was passed or does it not apply since to the case that was filed in 2008 and therefor the lender still has five years to seek a deficiency judgment. Cased filed in 2008 and final judgement / sale in October 2013 ... so what statute of time applies to seek a deficiency ??

This is an entirely new and very different question from the first one. Please enter a rating for my first Answer before moving on to different areas. Thanks.

ok, thanks. and I rated excellant the prior answer. And to clarify the new Fla law that the lender has one year to file for a deficiency. if a mtg foreclosure case was filed in late 2008, and goes to final judgement in October 2013 (After the new 2013 Fla law with the one year time to seek a deficiency) .... does this new one year rule apply to seek a deficiency apply to this case that is settled / final judgment in October 2013 / after the new Fla law (summer of 2013) was passed or does it not apply since to the case that was filed in 2008 and therefor the lender still has five years to seek a deficiency judgment. Cased filed in 2008 and final judgement / sale in October 2013 ... so what statute of time applies to seek a deficiency ??

In Florida, the statute of limitations for deficiency judgments resulting from foreclosures on or after July 1, 2013, is one year. The time period does not begin to run until the day after the court clerk issues a certificate of title to the buyer in the foreclosure sale. This is because your mortgage holder does not become entitled to a deficiency judgment in connection with a foreclosure until a judgment has been entered and your property has been sold for less than what was owed. If the foreclosure sale occurred before July 1, 2013, the statute is the earlier of five years or July 1, 2014. Since your sale has yet to occur I will state that the statute in your case will be one year from the date of the sale, i.e. it will be governed by the new statute, not the old one.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer