Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I BOUGHT CONDOMINIUM IN THE PHILIPPINES AND PLAN ON RETIRING

THERE IN A FEW YEARS...
I BOUGHT CONDOMINIUM IN THE PHILIPPINES AND PLAN ON RETIRING THERE IN A FEW YEARS TIME.I ALSO HAVE A SAVINGS ACCOUNT THERE..Is there any problems in doing so being american citizen in regards XXXXX XXXXX I.R.S.?
9/7/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. There is technically no "problem" with the IRS, but you will still have to file taxes in the U.S. since you will still be a U.S. citizen. The Philippines has a tax treaty with the U.S. and you will want to review that. You can find it at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/philip.pdf

But, in essence, you cannot be doubled taxed by the two countries. Once you move, you will want to find a local tax expert who deals with U.S. tax issues. Usually the U.S. Embassy will have a list of qualified tax professionals and also H & R Block has offices in many foreign countries.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Although I cannot address your specific tax situation, since we are not allowed to give legal advice or a legal opinion, I would be glad to clarify what I have said for you.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and thank you for your business. It was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue in the future, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer