Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am aware of the property management laws in Florida. There

I am aware of the property management laws in Florida. There is a grey area though. If I would like to start a property management business without doing the rental side of the business, just managing the property on a month to month business, is a license needed? Also can I legally co-own a property management company with a real estate broker?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am aware of the property management laws in Florida. There is a grey area though. If I would like to start a property management business without doing the rental side of the business, just managing the property on a month to month business, is a license needed?

Response 1: No, it is not needed so long as you are not involved in renting and leasing and you are therefore not paid on commission basis. See Florida Statutes Sections 475.01, 475.161, and 475.181.

Also can I legally co-own a property management company with a real estate broker?

Response 2: Yes, you can. See Florida Statues section 475.15.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify response 1, if I am charging 10% of the rent on a monthly basis, that is not considered commission correct?

Response: This would depend on the language of your property management agreement. If the payment is solely your compensation for the management of the property, it would not be considered a commission. Otherwise, it would be and you would then be required to get a license because you are considered involved in renting and leasing.