How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Live in Iowa we rent a house with a 3 year lease. My daughter

This answer was rated:

Live in Iowa we rent a house with a 3 year lease. My daughter is a quad and the owner changes the house it accomodate her. The lease is up the end of Sept. He told me last week he was renting to his daughter and we would have to be out in March 2014 and today he said by Nov. 1. To find a place to accomodate my daughter is near impossible, do we have any rights with her handicap? Thanks Randy
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

How long do you have left on your current lease?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The end of September next month

OK. Thanks for the information.

IF your lease term is up, then there's no right to force the landlord to allow you to remain or to re-rent the property past that term. This is so even in a situation where an occupant/tenant is disabled. You would have a right to claim housing discrimination IF the landlord was not renting to you based on the fact that your child is disabled. If that were the case, you could sue under the Federal Housing Act and the ADA for discrimination.

However, if the landlord is telling you that he's going to allow his daughter to move in, and he's not renting the property any longer, then it isn't likely that he's doing this because your child is disabled. Thus, there'd be no right to sue or legal cause of action to require him to rent to you.

Instead, you would have to either convince the landlord to give you a new lease or you'll have to find alternate housing. Maybe you can work something out with the landlord that will allow you to stay until you find a new place. Hopefully, the landlord will agree to that and let you rent month-to-month.

But, unfortunately, if there's no discrimination present, then the landlord can choose not to renew the lease once it expires, and if that is done, you'll have to vacate.

Thanks for your question, and if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Roger and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions