How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents have moved into a senior independent facility.

This answer was rated:

My parents have moved into a senior independent facility. They own their home in town free and clear. My father's wife's son and his wife recently moved into the house with the idea that they would assist with the liquidation of possessions and sale of the house. They are now saying to my father that they would like to become the "caretakers" of the house, and my father would not have to sell it. (they would live there rent free).
The house is in a trust, and would not have to be sold until the wife's death (this could be as long as 15 years from now). If they stayed in the house as "caretakers", would they have squatter's rights when it came time to sell the house???
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for requesting me!

No, their occupation of the house should never develop into adverse possession / squatter's rights becuse acquiring an interest under this legal theory requires that the property be occupied WITHOUT the true owner's permission. Since the trust/owner is granting permission for them to live there as caretakers, they wouldn't acquire an ownership interest by adverse possession / squatter's rights.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Roger and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions