How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbor raised his ground level, enclosed a culvert stream

This answer was rated:

My neighbor raised his ground level, enclosed a culvert stream with pipe, smaller then township sewer pipes, now I was flooded and had 8 inches of water in basement and had to replace my hot water tank $1300, damage to newly refinished basement game room, furniture, carpeting and doors ruined. No one will help. My lawyer told me that I sue neighbor will not pay, he will just ignore it until he dies. What can I do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You do have the option of suing the neighbor, not only for the cost of fixing your property but also for a court order requiring him to take steps to ensure that your property does not flood again. If he doesn't do it, you could ask the judge to hold him in contempt of court.

Your lawyer is unfortunately correct that there's a difference between getting a judgment and collecting a judgment. However, you may be able to put a lien on his house. If he has bank accounts, it may be possible to attach the money in them. You may have to hire an attorney that specializes in collections to help (after you go to court). But if you don't file suit, you absolutely won't get any money and the law unfortunately doesn't allow self-help. A person is required to go to court to hold someone accountable for a legal wrong. If the lawyer you called won't do anything at all, you may want to call another lawyer. If nothing else, you may be able to get information for your neighbor's home owner's insurance to see if they cover any of your damage.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 6 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions