Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

my parents hold the mortgage on a condo that me and my ex wife.

they want to foreclose on...
my parents hold the mortgage on a condo that me and my ex wife. they want to foreclose on the mortgage since we haven't been making the payments since the divorce. they want me to move in there after the foreclosure. there is no rental agreement with the existing person in the condo. she pays no rent, but pays the taxes and condo fee. how long would it take to get existing tenant removed once they foreclose?
7/28/2013
Richard, Lawyer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Tenancies are not automatically terminated by foreclosure. The "Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009" provides that bona fide leases survive a foreclosure -- meaning that unless the tenant is not willing to voluntarily leave earlier, the tenant can stay at least until the end of the lease entered into before the notice of foreclosure, and that month-to-month tenants (which is what this existing tenant is considered) are entitled to 90 days' notice before having to move out. An exception was carved out for the buyer who intends to live on the property -- this buyer may terminate a lease with 90 days' notice. This situation...i.e., the 90 days in your case with the month to month tenant....is what has given birth to the concept of cash for keys...where you offer the tenant a cash award to leave early.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Lawyer
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Thank you also for the very generous bonus! I truly appreciate your kindness!!
Richard, Lawyer