How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7416
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hold as Life tenant my deceased mothers property and home.

This answer was rated:

I hold as Life tenant my deceased mother's property and home. I have two siblings who agree to sell, I have one sibling who is currently incarcerated ( I hold his Durable Power of Attorney, and one sibling who has refused to communicate since the release of my Mother's will which occurred over two years ago. Is there a way we can proceed with marketing and selling, without the silent siblings consent?

Hello, and thanks for submitting this question. Unfortunately , all titleholders must consent to a sale of the property AND sign the deed to the buyer. If all of them cannot be persuaded to sell, then the remedy is to file a suit for partition of the property. If the property can't be physically divided, the court will order the sale with the proceeds divided among the owners. A commissioner will be appointed by the court to execute the deed. I know that this is involved and expensive, but it is the only way a buyer can obtain clear title to the property. Here is more information on the subject of Partition


I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.


Irwin Law and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you