Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We moved into a mortgage-financed home we purchased in March.

Customer Question
The lender just called this...
We moved into a mortgage-financed home we purchased in March. The lender just called this last week and said they are being audited and our file has been red-flagged and the auditors don't believe we are living in our home. She requested I send her a utility statement as proof we are living in the home, and told me the burden of proof is on me to show we are living here. I was busy and forgot to do so the same day, and the next morning she called and left a voicemail stating that the request was very urgent, she needed the document the day before, and that I should get it to her immediately before the lawyers get involved. I was upset she threatened me, and wrote her an email requesting a written request before sending out personal documentation/information. Now I'm concerned I should have just sent it to her, because I don't want mortgage problems. What rights do I have? What are my responsibilities?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/28/2013
Real Estate Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

You were given just one day to send the utility statement?

VAMD, Esq. :

It sounds to me like she dropped the ball in making the request to you, and now she is freaking out.

VAMD, Esq. :

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can't get kicked out of your house just because you didn't provide a utility statement.

VAMD, Esq. :

And I think that it was fine to ask for a written request.

VAMD, Esq. :

If I were you, I'd wait for the written response, and then send in the statement.

VAMD, Esq. :

My guess is that the employee should have asked soon, and failed in that regard, and is now scrambling to get the paperwork in order.

VAMD, Esq. :

All you need to do is provide the statement. It would be up to the lender to prove that you don't live there.

VAMD, Esq. :

Are you online?

VAMD, Esq. :

It appears that you're offline, so I will end our chat. Feel free to respond if you have any follow-up questions. Otherwise, please rate my answer. Thank you for using our service!

One more piece of info that may or may not be related. A couple of months ago a couple of women pulled into my driveway and asked me who lived here. It was very strange because we live on a dead-end gravel road in the middle of farm country and no one just "stops by", and one woman had a clip board, the other had a laptop. I asked who was asking, and she said "the bank". I said "what bank", and she gave me a name of something I had never heard of, like National Financial Corp or something to that effect. I told her I didn't have a relationship with that bank and don't provide information without cause, and she asked if a man lived there. The name she gave was similar to my husband's, but not he same, so I said no one by that name lived here. I'm concerned now that was the bank's way of checking on us, but it was very strange. I was so alarmed by it that I called the Sheriff's office and a deputy came by to see if he could find the car in the area because I was concerned it was some sort of scam. If I have to prove I live here because they don't believe we do because of that, how do I prove it?
Hi again.

Wow, that is bizarre. What bank is this, if you don't mind me asking? I would have called the sheriff too. That situation seems so unprofessional, it's shocking to be honest.

If you're put in a situation where you need to prove that you live there, then you can provide the utility statement (as you know), provide a copy of your driver's license, a tax return, get a neighbor to make a statement, etc. If push came to shove and you needed to prove it in court (which is highly unlikely), then almost anything that indicates that you live there would be admissible ... even a library card.

This situation is strange enough to warrant a call to the bank, in my opinion. I'd ask for a manager, explain the phone call and the strange visit from the person in the car, and demand an explanation for what is borderline harassment. I would not hesitate to let the manager know that you are very displeased with the unprofessionalism.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
It is the University of Iowa Community Credit Union. They have fantastic rates, but that's all. I think I will call the manager and ask what is going on and express my displeasure. A friend suggested I play the harassing voicemail for a manager as well.

Your response makes me feel a lot better about the situation. We have certainly been living here and if all I need to provide is evidence as simple as what you have listed it would not be difficult to prove. Thank you so much for your help.
I see. Credit unions are peculiar, that's for sure. Since they're local, they certainly work differently than national banks.

You're quite welcome, and thank you for using our service!
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney