How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55715
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband just refinanced the house and the lender told him

Customer Question

My husband just refinanced the house and the lender told him he had to be a single man because he bought the house when he was single and refinanced under a new law allowing him to when he was underwater. They told him to add me to the title later. What form do we use to do that?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. To add you to the title, your husband would sign a quit claim deed transferring an undivided 1/2 interest to you. The deed would then need to be witnessed, notarized, and recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. If you need a form for a quit claim deed, let me know and I'll be happy to provide one for you. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In the result of his death do I own the property?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for following up. In order to have the title automatically vest in you upon your husband's death, you will want him to transfer an interest to you as "joint tenant with right of survivorship."