Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Looking to buy a tax lien certificate from the original purchaser. *

Looking to buy a tax...
Looking to buy a tax lien certificate from the original purchaser.
* Is it true that once a tax lien is on a property, it becomes the only lien and wipes out any and all others?
* What is the draw back if any with this type of transaction?
*Supposedly, they will be issuing me an assignment for the purchase buy, will continue to do all the legal notices up until it is paid back or goes to foreclosure.
* If it moves to foreclosure, they will take car of this as well for a flat fee.
Thanks for the help, Richard
7/27/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In FL a Tax lien has a priority over other liens, but it does not wipe out mortgages or other liens, they just subordinate to the tax lien. This means when you take a property subject to the tax lien, you also take with the risk that the mortgage is still in place and could demand payment or foreclose by paying you the value of the lien within up to 7 years (the length of time an owner has to redeem a tax certificate on a property). See: FS 197.482 and FS 197.472).

Like any other investment you have to do due diligence on the property regarding any mortgages which are not eliminated by the tax lien. Also, you need to understand that the mortgage company can redeem the tax lien and so can the owner.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Thanks Paul,
I have a follow up ?

* I was also told that regardless of the number of liens the tax lien holder is in control i.e. can start his own foreclosure process to acquire the property if the lien is not redeemed by the present owner.

* If this is the case, once you own the property are all other liens wiped out at that point?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, at any point between 2 years and 7 years after acquiring the lien you can start the foreclosure according to the FL law. No, all of the other liens are not wiped out. A mortgage lien would not be wiped out and would have to be dealt with. All other liens subordinate to the mortgage would be extinguished though.

Thanks again, last ?

If I have the ANP number and the address; where is the best place i.e. website or sits to find out what has been recorded on that property.

?

The only place to verify for certain is not online, but directly at the recorder of property records office.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer