How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  I have practiced law for 25 yrs. with an emphasis on real estate, business law, criminal defense and family law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Andrea,My ex-husband is trying to refinance the house

This answer was rated:

Attachment: 2013-07-26_033608_1landon_pw.pdf

Hello Andrea, My ex-husband is trying to refinance the house and he sent over to me some document that I need to sign, but I would like that you review them before I sign them. Will this document relieve me of ALL Financial Responsibility in regards XXXXX XXXXX property today and in the future? You assisted me in obtaining Court docs, this is the final agreement How can I attach these document to your email. Let me know Please Thanks

Hi, Minerva, Thank you for requesting me,


I reviewed the document and it does not afford you any protection one way or the other because it does not relate to any liability, Your former husband is either selling the property and the buyer wants the title company to insure title free and clear of all liens, mortgages and other encumbrances and free of any outstanding interestsin any third party, or he is refinancing the property and the lender wants to be insured as first mortgagee free of any outstanding interests in the property of any third party. He would not be able to sell to any third party, or to refinance the mortgage without your signature.


The document itself is stating that you conveyed your interest in the property to your former husband, that you do not have any other outstanding interest in the property, and that you are not owed any money from your former husband because of transferring your interest to him. If I remember correctly, your former husband wanted you to pay him about $22,000 to have everything transferred and to remove your name from the mortgage, but he never did anything about removing your name and, in fact, did not adhere to the terms of the Agreement that you and he signed during the divorce proceedings. Now, the tables have turned and he needs your signature to do what he wants. If I were in your position, I would demand that he pay me before I would sign that document and would not sign it if he did not pay me what I wanted. If he made you suffer all those years, I would make him suffer now. You have nothing to gain by signing it and he is getting exactly what he wants if you do sign it. In fact, the document says that he does not owe you any money (consideration) as a result of your transferring any interest you had in the property to him.


Tell him you will sign the document on the condition that he pays you $10,000 simultaneously with your signing the document (Or, whatever greater amount you believe is fair for all that he put you through), otherwise, you will not sign the document!





Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,


Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi, Minerva, Thank you for the Excellent Service rating and the bonus. It was both kind and generous of you and I appreciate it greatly. Please let me know if you have any further questions and if you have any questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question like this,

"For Andrea ............ "



Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,




Related Real Estate Law Questions