How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ohio state tax lien on my house, not mine, how to get it r

This answer was rated:

ohio state tax lien on my house, not mine, how to get it removed?
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

You can definitely get this taken care of. You have to contact the tax authority who issued the lien and provide them with proof of her death and proof of her social security number. Ask to speak with their legal department.

If you don't get anywhere that way, send a letter to their legal department with the documents I mentioned, and state in a letter that you "dispute the debt" and "demand an accounting". This will require them to respond to you within 30 days according to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

Next step after that if no success would be to file a case in court to get the lien removed.

Let me know if you have any questions.
KimberlyLaw and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I called Ohio state dept. of taxation they revealed the different ss no's and said they are sales tax liens. Said I have to call the Attourney General. I did they acknowlege the ss no's dont agree , but they can't do any thing about it. Suggested I sign an affidavit. I'm old, I dont want my kids to go through this again.

Yes, the reason why they can't do anything about it is as I explained above, you need to to get together the death certificate and the social security number and write a letter explaining the mistake. The Affidavit just means that your letter is going to be notarized by a notary.

That should really be all you need to do here.

Let me know if this is clear.

Related Real Estate Law Questions