How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55608
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a piece of bare land in Nevada to a man in Alaska using a Contract For Deed. He ha

This answer was rated:

I sold a piece of bare land in Nevada to a man in Alaska using a Contract For Deed. He had planned to sell his property and move to Nevada. After a small down payment and 3 monthly payments, he has decided he does not want to sell his property in Alaska and now he doesn't want to continue buying the property in Nevada. He also does not want to go through the normal foreclosure process. He would like me to take the property back (or any interest he has in it)and is willing to give up what he's paid so far and sign whatever is needed to do that. Would a Quitclaim Deed be sufficient for this?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Typically, if you are using a Contract for Deed, title never transferred to your buyer; rather, the seller only signs a deed transferring title after the buyer has performed. If this is the case, there is no need to foreclose because the title is in your name. As a result, you only need to terminate the Contract for Deed and the buyer can sign a quit claim deed which acknowledges that whatever interest he might have owned under the Contract for Deed is being transferred back to you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - thank you for your quick answer. I did realize he didn't have title to the property. I guess I should have written that he didn't want to go through the "default" process. I just wanted to make sure that a Quitclaim Deed would be sufficient. When you say "terminate the Contract For Deed", is that a separate legal form, or does the Quitclaim Deed take care of terminating the contract? The original Contract For Deed was recorded in the County Recorder's Office.

Thanks for following up. The quit claim deed will be sufficient, but since the Contract for Deed was recorded, you will want to specifically reference in your quit claim deed that the Contract for Deed has been terminated and is of no further force and effect.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great - thank you so much!

You're very's my pleasure to help! Have a great day!
Richard and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: