How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55594
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I own a home and I have a boyfriend for 6 years who

This answer was rated:

Hello, I own a home and I have a boyfriend for 6 years who lives with me every other year who always loses a job. We always argue and we don't seem to get along. I had asked to leave my house and does not have any money to get an apartment. I would like to know can he get any of my assets or sue me?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you tell me in what state your home is located? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I live in Florida, What is the Florida Law?

Thanks so much for following up. First, he has no right to any of your assets simply by being your boyfriend and living with you. Second, you can get him out, but you will want to go through the legal process to avoid being accused of an illegal eviction. Even though there is no lease and if a person is intended to be just a guest, after that person has been in occupancy for more than a couple of weeks, that person becomes an "at will" tenant even though paying nothing. Such a person is deemed to be a month to month tenant. As such, you can terminate this tenancy by giving written notice of at least 15 days. If she does not leave voluntarily, under Florida law, you will then need to give a 3-Day Notice to Quit...meaning he must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if he still has not left, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is can have the sheriff evict. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move his stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order. In the interim, if he poses any threat to your person or property, you can get a restraining order to get him out of the house immediately while the eviction process runs its course.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you could just force him out immediately, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My boyfriend is born and raised from Florida. We have been together for 7 years. He gets fired from the company every other year and he has lived in different towns. Although he comes back and live in my home every other year. I just want to make sure I am not responsible to take care of him financially. My worry is I own a few assets in NY. I want to make sure he does not file a law suit. I really don't know what is the common law in Florida.

Thanks for following up further. You have absolutely no legal duty to take care of him financially. Just because you have been together for 7 years as boyfriend/girlfriend and he has lived with you off and on does not give him any rights to your assets. Although you can never prevent someone from filing a suit against you, he has no chance of prevailing in such a suit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Although, he only paid one month utilities, does not mean anything regarding my assets?

Thanks for following up. makes not difference at all. That gives him no right to any ownership in your assets.
Richard and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. I work hard to make sure each of my JustAnswer customers is fully satisfied. So, if there is any additional information you need, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide any additional help needed. Thanks again!
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your generosity!