Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I bought my daughter a house, I want to keep the house in my

I bought my daughter a house, I want to keep the house in my name only. My daughter wants her name on the deed. What should I do?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If she is allowed to use it why does she want her name on the deed?
.
Did you buy the house for your daughter as a gift or did you buy it as an investment?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My daughter says if her name is XXXXX XXXXX deed it is also protection if something happens to me. I bought it as an investment. I will leave the house to my daughter if I pass away.

Ok, if it is an investment for you, then I would agree that there would not be any reason to add daughter to the deed. If you did, she would be a 50% owner and would have to agree to any sale if you decided to sell it. If she didn't, then you would have to file a partition lawsuit against her to force a sale. She would also be legally entitled to 50% of the proceeds of any sale. So it can create a lot of problems.
.
If you just want to leave it to her when you pass, then you can just do so via a will or trust.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.