How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband owns a home in RI. His nema is the only name on

This answer was rated:

My husband owns a home in RI. His nema is the only name on the deed We live in NH. In his will, created in NH, he has left everything he owns to me. In the event of his untimely death what will I need to do to have my name placed on the property deed.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. What would happen upon his death is that you would probate his will in NH to be appointed executor of his estate. Then, because this home is in RH, you would be required to do an ancillary probate process in RI to give you authority to transfer title in RI. Once that is complete, as executor of his estate, you would sign a quit claim deed on behalf of his estate transferring title to the property to you. The deed would need to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. At that point, the property would belong to you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. The information provided makes sense. Is there a typical time frame for this?

Would all of these steps be eliminated if my name were on the deed of the property?

You're welcome; it's my pleasure. The typical estate usually takes 6-9 months to complete due to the requirement of giving creditors the required notices, etc. If he were to put your name on the deed as a joint tenant with right of survivorship, you could eliminate the need for this ancillary probate process in RI because the title would automatically vest in you as the survivor. :)
Richard and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:

Related Real Estate Law Questions