How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55717
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cosigned a private home purchase for my son 26 years ago.

This answer was rated:

I cosigned a private home purchase for my son 26 years ago. So, my name is XXXXX XXXXX deed. He doesn't work and is hitting me up for the property tax. Financially, I could pay it but don't want to. He needs to get a job. Can I get a quick claim deed and get my name off the deed? Would the government attach what I own or just attach the house for non payment of propty tax? Is there anything I can do to get out of this.
This property is in the Dallas TX area.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You do have rights here. Although you can't just simply, without his consent, quit claim your interest to him, what you can do is demand he pay fair market value rent which should cover the expenses of the house, including the property taxes. You should also know that property taxes run with the land, not the owner, so you have no personal liability to pay these taxes. The tax assessors only recourse is to foreclose on the property, but it cannot sue you as the owner. Finally, what you can do if your son is not willing to accept the deed from you and get you released from the mortgage, you can file a suit for partition. The result of that suit will be one of the following: i) if the property can be equitably subdivided, the court will order the property divided into smaller parcels with each owner then owning 100% of their own smaller tract with full control over that tract; or ii) if the property cannot be equitably subdivided, the court will order the property sold and the proceeds divided. Since a house cannot be divided, the court will order the house sold. The reality is that in most cases, once the owners fighting the sale find out the certainty of the result of a suit for partition, that/those owner(s) typically agrees/agree to the sale without the suit to avoid the costs of the suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: