How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a serious problem I need help with. I am a

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a serious problem I need help with. I am a single women In Tampa Fl. I have been renting a house from a man who has given me a lot of problems, and its fairly complicated. I guess he is what you would call a slum lord with nice properties. Is there anyone who could help me if I tell you exactly what he is doing?? I would be very grateful for the help, as I have no one really to turn to. Thanks very much, Lori xxxxx

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the facts, the situation and your concern. Can you please clarify what it is that you would like to know? Did he provide you with any written notice about the rent increase and when did he tell you it would be raised to $850?
Hi Lori. I just wanted to see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there was no written increase of rent. The last written "anything" from him was back in 2010

Thank you for the additional information. If there is no current lease agreement in place at this time, you would be considered a month to month tenant. If the landlord wanted you out of the rental property, he must give at least fifteen days notice in writing prior to the end of any monthly period to terminate the tenancy. If he is looking to just raise the rent, he would need to provide you at least 30 days notice of the demand and it has to be in writing. If you failed to pay, then he could start eviction proceedings, if you remain after the 30 days and do not pay the increase. Of course, you have a right to make him a counter offer, for an amount less then he is requesting and see if he will accept it. If he proceeds with the eviction and you want to contest it, you can but would need to show that he is trying to retaliate against you in some way, for your previous actions or request that he fix things, which he had a legal right to do.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
RealEstateAnswer and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you