How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55325
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in california and have received a letter from a lawyer

This answer was rated:

I live in california and have received a letter from a lawyer stating that it is a formal request to receive property that is supposedly in my possession and money that I supposdly owe from a former friend. Should I retain my own attorney at this point. The letter further says I have 5 days to respond to them after receipt of the letter and 10 days to return the property and money, and if I don't they will decide to pursue an appropriate form of action. The total value and sum of the money add up to under 5,000. 4,600 to be exact. Should I retain an attorney of my own at this point. The letter also said I should make no attempt to contact my former friend in any way, phone/text etc, and all contact should be thru them.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Is there any validity to the claim? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, there is no validity to the claim. It is a case of an angry ex girlfriend

Thanks for your reply. I don't think you need an attorney yet. I would send the attorney a letter refuting the claim and explaining why there is no validity. Further, let the lawyer in the letter know that if this is pursued further, you will file a counter suit for frivolous prosecution. Even if this suit is filed, given the amount, it will be filed in small claims court and you won't need a lawyer to handle it unless you want. But, you can make a decision at that time as to whether or not to spend the money by engaging a lawyer.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:

Related Real Estate Law Questions