Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Willow tree limb came down in neighbors yard. Tree in common

area in my backyard. No...
Willow tree limb came down in neighbors yard. Tree in common area in my backyard. No property was damaged, they want me to pay for removal. Do I have to do this in IL?
7/17/2013
Richard, Lawyer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. There is a clear-cut rule regarding trees in this situation. It depends upon whether you, as the owner of the tree, knew or should have known the tree was previously damaged or diseased. If the answer to that is yes, then you, being the owner of the tree (or your insurance company), are responsible for the removal of and any damages caused by the tree. If the answer to that is no, then it would be considered an Act of God, and you, being the owner of the tree, have no liability for damage and are not responsible for the removal from the neighbor's property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Lawyer