Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Family property located in Louisiana. My mother is a 1/4 interested

Family property located in Louisiana. My mother is a 1/4 interested party in undivided property. She would like to quitclaim her interest in the property to me. Can she do this without the signature/agreement of the other 3/4 interested parties?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
My mother is a 1/4 interested party in undivided property. She would like to quitclaim her interest in the property to me. Can she do this without the signature/agreement of the other 3/4 interested parties?
.
Yes, there is no legal obligation for a fractional owner of a piece of property to notify the other owners if they dispose of their interest in the property. There is also no requirement that the other owners agree or allow any tranfer of another owner's interest.
.
She would just need to have a quitclaim deed drafted up from her as grantor to you as grantee and sign it in front of a notary along with witnesses. Then it would be recorded and the transfer would be complete.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.