How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question is a life estate question. Im beneficiary of an

This answer was rated:

Question is a life estate question. I'm beneficiary of an expense paid life estate from my deceased companion of 23 years .Trust mentions home owners, insurance ,flood insurance and other bills such as utility bills are to be paid out of fund set up for life estate. I have no deed and home owners insurance is not in my name but in son of my companion. The son receives the house when I no longer need or want it. Son says he is my landlord and I need my own home owners insurance. Should I have a deed? I had a life estate in Pa. and I had a deed until I terminated the life estate. I've asked the attorney who set up the trust. I get no reply because he represents the son.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Dorothy.

I apologize for the delay but someone sent your question to the wrong category and I had to request a moderator open it for me so I could provide your answer.

Since the trustee and your partner's son are not providing any assistance, you could obtain a copy of the deed from the local recorder's office. If you contact the county recorder's office, they could perform a chain of title search and obtain a copy of the deed which grants you the life estate, which is an ownership interest in the property, so the son is NOT your landlord. You own the property at this point until you release your ownership interest or pass away, so that statement by the son appears to be false.

Here is a link to a county recorder's office in FL. If you are in a different county and would like to me to look for the website in your area, please let me know in which county your property is located.

The trustee should provide you with evidence that the expenses and insurance are being paid as well, so I would send a written request to them, after you have obtained a copy of the deed, and request that proof.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.