How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In an in rem foreclosure action, may a municipality give notice

This answer was rated:

In an in rem foreclosure action, may a municipality give notice it intends to seize property via regular mail?

Can a court give notice via regular mail (please cite authority for both - thanks)?

A foreclosure action and a seizure of property by a municipality are two different things and go by different rules of procedure; however, neither action can be instituted with notice served by regular mail. Lawsuits are required in each type of case, such cases require notice by complaint and summons. This is basic black letter law. The authority is contained in the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules - Article 3New York Civil Practice Law & Rules - § 304Jurisdiction and Service ...Method of Commencing

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Irwin Law and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you