Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

will i lose all my rights to my homes if my wife puts them

in an LLC in her...
will i lose all my rights to my homes if my wife puts them in an LLC in her name only?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2013
Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

For what reason is your wife proposing to do this? Were the properties acquired by you during the marriage?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

yes we acquired them together we are married and it is to portect us from law suits they are four rental homes

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Jim.

No, you would not typically lose your marital interest in the properties if they are held by the LLC's owned by your wife since they were acquired during the marriage and so was the LLC, so you would normally have a marital interest in the LLC as well, even though you don't have an actual interest in it.

It is important to note that as long as you stay married and your wife is the sole owner of the LLC, she could sell the properties without your consent though, so there could potentially be nothing to divide between the spouses if you were to divorce if she choose to sell the LLC or the properties.

In addition, if a lawsuit has already been initiated, creating the LLC and transferring the assets to it could be considered a fraudulent transfer to avoid your legal obligations, or the creditor suing you may allege that in any case.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Tina, Lawyer