How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a property in Berkeley California we have owned since

This answer was rated:

We have a property in Berkeley California we have owned since 2002. Prior to that the
orginal owners owned it for thirty years. There has always been access for the garbage company and cars to park in the back. A new neighbor property manager wants to close down this easement or access. The city said something about a perspective easement we have what does this mean and can he close off this access? Thanks

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Who owns the property used by the garbage company and vehicles to park? Is there other access for the garbage to be picked up?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are two buildings with a driveway in between for the last 50 years

It has always been used to take the garbage cans from the back to the street and two tenants park in the back. There is no other access for the garbage cans to get to the street. Also what does a persepective easement mean and how many years before qualifying ? Thanks

Hello again, Vallory, and thank you for providing this additional information.

In California, a user of land may establish a prescriptive easement by proving that his or her use of the other owner's property was: (1) continuous and uninterrupted for five years; (2) open and notorious; and (3) hostile.

Here is a link which sets out these elements and explains them further:

To obtain a court order for a prescriptive easement, you must typically obtain a court order by filing a lawsuit seeking the easement and proving your case. That can become expensive, so it is usually best to first attempt to resolve the matter with the neighboring land owner through mediation or negotiations with a local real estate law attorney you would hire to represent you. This is often much less expensive than a lawsuit and often effective if the neighbor also wishes to avoid a lawsuit.

It sounds as though you would have grounds to pursue such an order, so I would retain a local attorney to discuss this matter with the neighboring owner or draft a demand letter to them.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 8 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.