Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

in 2010 my wife and i spit she short sold the house the first

mortgage was paid and the...
in 2010 my wife and i spit she short sold the house the first mortgage was paid and the second ended up short. the second wrote the loan off as a bad debt and 1099 us for the rest.
In maryland there is a 3 year limit for suite with them 1099 us can they still sue for the rest?
7/9/2013
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your question

1. Did you get any approval from the second mortgagee for the short sale ?

2. Was the second mortgagee paid anything on the loan, or did they issue a 1099 for the entire amount of the loan ?

yes they agreed to the amount and released the house to sell but left open the option to collect.

they received some not sure the amount.

Hi, Jim,

When a lender issues a 1099 to a borrower as they did in your situation, the lender does not sue the borrowers for a deficiency judgment and neither does a collection agency to which the lender may have sold the account,

______________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer