Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

The house that we rent has recently been put up for sale. Recently

sold, the new owners as...
The house that we rent has recently been put up for sale. Recently sold, the new owners as well as the previous owner want us out of the house in 30 days. We are not making that much money and it is going to take a lot longer than thirty days to find a
new place that we can afford. Still, they are adamant about having us get out of the house. Is it legal for them to give us this little amount of time? I thought that 90 days was the required time span for moving out.
7/9/2013
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
In which state do you reside?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
I currently live in Pennsylvania.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that.
The sale of rental property does not typically terminate a valid lease, but the purchaser takes the property subject to the lease.
If there is no valid lease in place, then the tenancy is normally considered a month to month tenancy and may be terminated with 30 days notice to the tenant normally.
Neither owner would typically have the ability to terminate the lease any sooner and it usually takes weeks or months following the notice period to obtain an order of eviction. The owners cannot lock you out, so if they truly need you to move before the 30 day notice period, they may wish to offer you a sum of money for your agreement to move out sooner as they cannot otherwise demand that you move out sooner.
Here is a link which summarizes PA law:
http://www.nwls.org/landlord.htm
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer