Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My Girlfriend and I recently broke up after moving into a condo

My Girlfriend and I recently broke up after moving into a condo short term in Jensen Beach FL. We are 1 month in the 3 month lease. Lease is in my name only, she pays 1/2 of the rent, utilities etc. How can I get her to leave if she refuses?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether your girlfriend would be willing to move out if you release her from having to pay rent?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes she is or said she is, my concern is based on past lies in our relationship she will not leave....if that is the case, what can I do?

Michael

I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation for me, Michael.

You should typically provide her with 30 days written notice under these circumstances. Then, if she does not move out within that period of time, you could initiate a petition in the local court seeking an order of eviction.

The biggest problem you may have is that it could potentially take longer to obtain such an order than the length of the lease. Because of that, you may wish to retain a local attorney to communicate with her, threatening litigation if she does not move out within the 30 day period in an attempt to persuade her to move out voluntarily and avoid a lawsuit for eviction.

She could potentially delay any suit beyond the term of the lease, especially if she continues to pay half the rent, but if you provide her with 30 days written notice today, that will start the clock ticking to get an order of eviction if one becomes necessary.

Here is a link which summarizes the eviction process under FL law:

http://rhol.com/csu/evictions/Florida/FloridaSteps.htm

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Tina!!

You are very welcome and good luck to you.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.