How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34268
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know the answer but I want to confirm the answer. If a person

This answer was rated:

I know the answer but I want to confirm the answer.
If a person quit claims a residential property to another person, the person records the quit claim with the county recorders office then that house now belongs to the person that was quit claimed the house too.?

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an Arizona attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

That is almost correct. There are a few caveats

1. Recording is not required to legally transfer title...recording simply "records" to transfer (and can be important if there is a question about the legality of the transfer)...but recording is not legally required. SO the act of transferring with a properly executed quit claim deed will transfer ownership. Again, recording simply "records" the transfer

2. A quit claim deed can only transfer what the grantor (person who executes the deed) has. So, for example, if I am the sole owner of a piece of real property and I transfer that property to you, via quit claim deed, you then become the sole owner.

On the other hand, if I am a part owner, then the transfer gives you my ownership (the partial ownership)

3. Finally, any transfer is subject to, for example, if there is a mortgage on the property, the property remains subject to that lien

P. Simmons and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you