How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 19106
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My home is in Alabama but my mortgage was bought by Midland

This answer was rated:

My home is in Alabama but my mortgage was bought by Midland Mortgage in Oklahoma City. Last March my home suffered damages from a storm, We were sent a small check for removal of trees from roof, repair of electric services, repairs to septic system from overturned trees. After adjusters figured further damages we were sent a check for
$11,304.65 made to us and Midland. We sent the check to Midland in the middle of May and have since had those damages repaired and Midland sent an inspector out. Midland's representative Gail Brumley has told us that inspectors report showed 95% completed, and all has been finished now. Brumley has started to say that she needs further paperwork although we sent all, we sent again over and over. Now she says she has not received inspectors report. We have found many,many complaints on the internet even calling Midland criminals and thieves (MIDLAND MORTGAGE/PISSED CONSUMER, AND RIPOFF REPORT/MIDLAND MORTGAGE) Brumley goes weeks and will not return our calls and then lies about report and paperwork. We have paid some bills but these companies are starting to charge us late fees. Can anyone help us. We have receivedanother check for further damages and have had all repairs made but are afraid to forward check to Midland. Can you help us.
207 W. Hartwood Dr
Rainbow City, L 35906

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am sorry to learn about your difficulties.

It appears that Midland is trying not to return the insurance check and use that check for the mortgage, which Midland is not supposed to do. Unfortunately, future checks would continue to be made to you and Midland so long as there is an outstanding mortgage on the property held by Midland. Midland needs to endorse the checks and return them to you. Otherwise, you would not be able to use the checks. Regrettably, you have to send this newest check to Midland for endorsement. However and more importantly before you do so, you need to contact your insurance company and let them know what Midland is doing and see if someone from your insurance company would contact Midland to release the previous check to you.

In the meantime, you need to file complaint against Midland with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. This is a newly created agency that deals with problem such as yours. On the complaint form, your issue would fall under "Making Payments."

Phillips Esq. and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you