How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9395
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started a tenants association in the apartment building I

This answer was rated:

I started a tenants association in the apartment building I live in, and the city does not require us to have a bussiness license, but we do have a IRS EIN Number, Are we considered a Uncorporated Association or simethig else.
Yes, from your description, you have an unincorporated association (which is the most common form for a tenants association or a tenants union).

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Do we have to answer to any State agency, if yes who are they.

No, there is no State registration required of tenants associations, but please tell me the name of the City so I can look to see if any local ordinances might affect your group.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Compton, California

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Compton has no rent control according to and it is not under the LA rent laws, see

The Compton City Code is at
and I do not see any requirements or regulations related to tenants associations in there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the city of compton said there is no business licences need in Compton to be the United Tenants Association.

The City is correct, a tenants association does not normally need a business license.

Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no you did a good job Smile. I am going to ask some other question after I rate you.


You can find me again if you want to, at

Thank you for using Just Answer!