How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgment against a person via non-payment of a Promissory

This answer was rated:

I have a judgment against a person via non-payment of a Promissory Note he signed. It is against his residence in Wash. DC. Can I obtain a "writ of execution" to have him sell his home to repay my Promissory note.

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. Washington D.C. has a law like most states that says a civil judgment automatically constitutes a lien against any real estate that the judgment debtor owns in the district/county where the judgment is entered. The property cannot be sold or mortgaged without taking into account the judgment lien. Your attorneys apparently feel that it is not worthwhile at this point to obtain a writ of execution against your debtor's property, but that avenue is available. You have to take into account that you can only attach and levy against the person's equity in the property and if there isn't any, then you would be wasting time and money trying to execute against it.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating.However, I will be away from my computer the rest of this evening. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Irwin Law and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you