Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I bought a house on E-Bay that turned up owing thousands in

I bought a house on E-Bay that turned up owing thousands in taxes. I should have done my own research on the property, rather than trusting the seller. How do give up the property without having to pay that delinquent tax?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Could you explain a litle more?

Do you have a loan on the property?

Is the deed in your name?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought the house on Ebay auction from a seller that said it was clear of liens and tax debt. After I bought it, I was sent a bill from the county for all the taxes and lawn maintenance fees that the previous owner had not paid (I think 5 years of unpaid taxes).

I paid cash for the house, no loan. The deed is on my name.

Info on property (parcel 67-35424) is here:

http://fiscalweb.summitoh.net/clt/refintg2.opt?DOLAND=ON&DOLAND=OFF&DOCARD=ON&DOCARD=OFF&CARDNUM=ALL&DOSALES=ON&DOSALES=OFF&DOPERMITS=ON &DOPERMITS=OFF&DOTAXES=ON&DOTAXES=OFF&DOASSESS=ON&DOASSESS=OFF&DOCAUV=OFF&DOCAUV=OFF&DONOTES=ON&DONOTES=OFF&DOGENINF=ON&DOGENINF=OFF&LIENYEAR=2013&parcel=6735424%25&route=&addr=&own=&action=Search

Thank you for the clarification:

.

Response: Wow, the Seller actually committed fraud and you can pursue the Seller for the material misrepresentation eventhough you could have easily found this information by doing a little title search on the property. If you do not want to pay the taxes, you can do nothing. Then, if the taxes remain unpaid, the County would sell the property on a tax sale. All unpaid real estate taxes stay on the property as lien. You are not personally responsible for the taxes. If you do not pay the taxes, then the County would take the property in a tax sale.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I write to the County Fiscal Officer explaining the situation and letting them know I wont be paying the tax debt or is that pointless?

Response: That would be pointless. The County does not care about the circumstances. The County only wants the taxes paid.