Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

my landlord is trying to say I need to give 60 days notice

to vacate my apt. when...
my landlord is trying to say I need to give 60 days notice to vacate my apt. when the lease states clearly that after a one year period (the term the lease), that if the landlord accepts payment for additional months past one year, that a month-to-month lease will be in effect at which point only 30 days notice is required. They argue that "all terms and conditions of the lease remain in effect after one year" even though paragraph 2(a) of the lease THEY DRAFTED states that under month to month 30 days is sufficient. How do I go about getting out of here according to my lease without them charging me an extra month's rent, and or keeping my security deposit as payment? They have been pulling shady business through-out my entire residency as a tenant and this is the last straw
7/1/2013
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provided you with Excellent Service,

If your lease clearly states that upon expiration of the current lease term you become a month to month tenant with a right to vacate upon giving 30 days notice, the landlord cannot withhold your security deposit, or read into the lease clauses and conditions which are not there. Give the landlord 30 days written notice as provided in the lease and demand the return of your security deposit within 21 calendar days days of your vacating the property. California law provides that a landlord has 21 days to return the tenant's security deposit, or provide the tenant with an itemized list of things which have to be repaired resulting from any damage done by the tenant. If the landlord fails to return the tenant's security deposit within 21 days, California law also provides that when the tenant sues the landlord for the return of his deposit, a penalty of two times the security deposit shall be payable to the tenant.

Be sure to leave the apartment spotless so that the landlord has no excuse to withhold your security deposit. It would also be a good idea to take pictures of all the rooms the day that you leave so that there is no question that you did not create any damage for which he can withhold the rent.

When giving your 30 days notice, make sure you count from the first day of the month. For example, if a tenant wants to vacate the property on August 15, the tenant would have to give his 30 days notice on July 1 at the very latest (not July 15).

_____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Hi, James,

I should have also mentioned that a tenant must return possession to the landlord in the same condition as the property was given to him, ordinary wear and tear excepted. This means that the landlord cannot deduct things like wear and tear of the carpet, or smudges on the walls because that is part of "wear and tear" during the course of the tenant's occupancy and is to be expected.

I see that you have had the opportunity to review my Answer. Is there something that I can clarify for you? If not, please be kind enough to rate my service to you so that I can receive credit for researching your question and furnishing you with Answers and information, otherwise I will not receive credit for assisting you. The deposit you made is with JustAnswer and it will not cost you anything additional to rate my service to you, but without a rating, I do not receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you for understanding,

______________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer