How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The property managment company filed the small claims court

This answer was rated:

The property managment company filed the small claims court $5,000.00 one day after they illegally broke into the house without permission from the court on the eviction claim. The police report was filed the night before with the theft of the $5,000.00 dollar ring missing.

Question 1. In Thurston County Washington can an attorney accompany this gentleman into small claims court?

If not can he counterclaim for his stolen property or should he wait and file criminal charges for breaking and entering the home without a court order and taking his ring?

This is very time sensitve..The small claims court case in the 19th..tomorrow morning at 9:00. Please is shameful what they have put this 75 year old man through. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Attorneys are generally not allowed in small claims court unless the case was transferred from the regular civil court or with permission of the small claims court judge. If you want an attorney or paralegal to appear in small claims court on your behalf, you have to file a motion for leave to be represented by counsel with the small claims court explaining your good cause for wanting counsel and the judge has to approve of the representation.

If you already filed a police report, you can file a civil suit against them with an attorney in the regular civil court or if you want to file a counterclaim for the ring in small claims you need to file your counterclaim yourself or get permission of the court to be represented by an attorney. Your age would be one reason for good cause to allow representation by counsel and also if the other party is represented by counsel because they are a corporation then this also would be a good cause reason for the court to permit you to use a attorney.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The small claims case is scheduled for the 19th at 9;00am. Is there anything he can do today, to prepare for the case?He has the police report and the eviction notice that he answered in a timely manner and it had not had an opportunity to go to court and they forced entry into the house and that is how the ring came up missing. He had bars on both doors, front and back. He also hand carried a letter to one person that he met at the house to serve him the eviction notice..they falsely applied his email address on top of the document, as though he sent it by e-mail. Is that illegal to do that? Thank you for helping !

Thank you for your response.

He needs to put his evidence together to bring to court tomorrow and he will need to present it to the court. He can also go to the court today and file a counterclaim to the suit if he chooses or he can wait to file the separate suit for the theft.

Yes, they cannot file false documents and he has to prove that they did so in court and when he does he can ask the court for sanctions against them for doing so, which would include money damages.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

at the time he files a counter claim today, will they or can they give him another court date to get an attorney to help him? He has all of this evidence but he is so scared that he cannot present it effectively and will get nervous and not know what to say. He is 75 and never been inside a court room in his life. You are so kind to help.

Because it is the day before the court hearing, they would likely make him file it as a separate suit and then when he goes to court tomorrow he would have to ask the court to consolidate the two actions and give the court the other case number XXXXX also move the court to allow him to have an attorney based on his age and his inability to go to court physically. You can go to court and help him, but he will have to speak for himself if he cannot get an attorney.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh my goodness, you have been most helpful. You are greatly appreciated and we cannot thank Just Answer enough for creating a powerful venue where poor people who need advice and counsultation can go 24/7. Thank you again and please accept this small donation, as the least we can do, for your compassionate advice to two elderly people trying to help each other.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is the e-mail message I received this morning. Is it legal for them to enter my home that the eviction notice, we go to court on June 28th.

We will be showing your home at 1pm tomorrow (Saturday). It will be a real estate agent showing for the sale of the home. If you still have the devices installed to prevent people from entering the home please remove them. Thank you for your cooperation. I will also be their if you would like to meet and talk about all the paperwork you are receiving. Please email or call me once you have received this as confirmation.


Thank you for your response and update.

The landlord has a right to reasonably show the property for sale with a minimum 24 hour notice. You cannot unreasonably deny them the right to show the property even though his eviction is not complete. Of course, if you can get to court today you can file a motion for an emergency ex parte temporary injunction preventing them from showing the home until the eviction is completed and heard by the court in a few more days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I left you a 40.00 bonus. did you get it ?

If it was just today, I am afraid it does not appear to have gone through, I do not know why but you can check with customer service. Thank you so much.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I left it the day you told Mr Dover to file the counter claim or new claim, which he did. That was on the 18th.

Thank you, yes I did get that one. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Jun 18, 2013 Payment To
Just Answer!


Details Payment To Just Answer! 1RR80826C9971741B -$40.00 USD
I got that one thank you very much. I thought you were referring to today. I apologize if I confused you.