How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7071
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a broken pipe in my condo and the bylaws have no stipulation

This answer was rated:

I had a broken pipe in my condo and the bylaws have no stipulation on who is responsible the association says its me and the insurance says its the association I paid $800.00 to have the pipe fixed ,What should I do? and who is responsible if state law 718.111 says its the HOA board. but they refuse to answer.
Hello and thank you for your question. What is the source of the broken pipe? Is this something in your unit or from a common area or neighboring unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its plumbing in the inside wall above the kitchen, below the batroom, the units are side by side 2 storys townhomes, but under condo bylaws.

Does the pipe only serve your unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


718.113(2) the Association coverage does not specifically exclude the pipe. Have you tried sending them a certified letter return receipt requested advising them of the leak?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not certified threw email the cam asked me to do everthing threw email and she does not answer the phone , the board members disregard me and will not give me an answer ,they tell me threre is no money and to go away in a very rude manner ,emails going backin forth now for 2 months

an I still can get a straight answer. it seems there i no one who will execpt the certified lette because everthing is done threw a PO box ,any suggestions?

Associations are not for profit corporations, your association should have a registered agent to receive service of process on behalf of the assocociation. Have you checked with the Secretary of State to find information on the registered agent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes thats the Cam ,she will not answer me or my letters,

do you think its worth my time to go talk to The state, that they are not going by the bylaws or sections

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was hoping to hear I was right ,I guess its not cut and dry your very kind for your help, you have gone over and beyond

The pipe appears to be covered under the statute as it is not excluded under 718.113(2)

You can always file a complaint with Attorney General at

You can also file a complaint with the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations at

Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have for me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is where I was at befor I aked the question ,but im on the seesaw on what to do, But after reading what you wrote you feel I' m in the right? this


will be the last question, Thank you for everything

I think the association needs to respond to you. You may want to file complaints to get their attention.

They cannot ignore the legitimate concerns of owners.



Thank you for using JA!



If you would be so kind as to rate my service I would be most appreciative.

Attyadvisor and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you.