How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have couple properties that were back taxes.And the city

This answer was rated:

I have couple properties that were back taxes.And the city processed to foreclose. But then my lender ( private lender) paid my back taxes and start notify all my tenants to pay rent to him. He even forged my signature on the notice to collect rent. My question is : 1) After he paid my taxes , is that mean he is the owner of the properties? I did not sign any paper of transfer. Does he has the right to do that? Thanks Ka Lam

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The fact that your lender paid the taxes does not mean that they now own the property. They could only take back the property through either a foreclosure action, or through suing you in court for breach of your contract---for failing to pay the taxes.

The forgery of your signature on a notice to your tenants to collect rent is a violation of criminal law, and you may file a formal complaint of forgery against them with the police.

Additionally, you need to let your tenants know that you have not given permission to the lender to collect the rents owed to you, and that the letter was forged, and that they have to pay only you or you will be forced to evict them for breach of contract and non-payment of rent.

You appear to have a meritorious case against the seller who forged your name to documents, and you may sue him for the return of the rents that he stole from you.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

LawTalk and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your answer, But forgot to mention that my mortgage is behind for a while. but the lender never file to foreclose my properties. I bought those properties (all of them were all boarded up and abandoned) from him 10 years ago. Now all the properties are renovated and fully occupied. What should I do now.

Good evening,

Thank you for the additional information.

Once again, the fact that the mortgage payments, or the tax payments, may be behind does not ever give the lender the right to forge documents, breaking the law, and taking your rents from you.

Once the property has been sold to you, even with a private lender, unless they foreclose on the property under the appropriate laws of Connecticut, or sue you for breach of contract and take the property through legal means---you remain the lawful owner of the properties and entitled to the rents from those properties.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

LawTalk and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, . It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.