How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55284
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is the homeowners association responsible for repair of cracks

Customer Question

Is the homeowners association responsible for repair of cracks in concrete foundation slab inside the ground floor condo unit?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Can you tell me if these are simply hairline cracks or are they big cracks indicating a failure of the foundation? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

large cracks that runs through the entire length and width of the condo

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for following up. Large deep cracks would indicate a material failure of the foundation. Basically, as a condo owner, you own everything inward from your interior walls, floors and ceilings. The foundation and concrete floor is a common element. Common elements, unless your condo governing documents...CC&R's and Bylaws...specifically provide otherwise, are the responsibility of the association. So, any problems with your foundation are going to be a common element problem and thus is the responsibility of the association to fix the problem and all damaged caused by the problem. If they refuse to voluntarily do so, you will want to file suit to force them to repair the foundation. The association and the directors do not get the unilateral right to simply tell you it's your responsibility and make you go away. It's not like the association is unbiased. So, if they refuse to take responsibility when the responsibility belongs to them, file suit and force the issue. Typically filing the suit is all that is needed to get the association (and its insurance company) to remediate the problem, but if you must pursue the suit forward, once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment. I would suggest not only naming the association in any suit, but also naming the board members individually....being served with a summons they are being sued individually tends to make them much less cocky. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions