Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can a realtor or their client sue an HOA for putting a lien

on a unit while it...
Can a realtor or their client sue an HOA for putting a lien on a unit while it is listed? Loss of revenue libeling a property etc
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2013
Richard, Lawyer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Can you elaborate on the basis for the HOA's lien claim? Does the HOA have a valid claim against the client?

740.00 plus in outstanding assessments some going back 2 years. According to our CCR it is a valid reason for a lien. We are a 4 plex built before 1995. The unit in question is up for sale and an owner of another unit in the 4 plex wants to put a lien on the one for sale. Our CCR gives her the right to do so.

Thanks for following up. There would be no cause of action for the realtor or the client because: i) the other owner has a legal right to place the lien; and ii) it in no way impacts the sale of the property. In many cases, when property is listed for sale, there are liens on the property...such as taxes, mortgages, HOA fees, etc. A buyer doesn't care about these existing before the sale. The only requirement that a buyer has is that they be paid and/or removed on the date of closing so that when title transfers to the buyer, the title is not encumbered with these liens. What will happen in this case is that the closing agent will simply pay the lien from the purchase price and cause it to be released so that title transfers without this encumbrance.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Lawyer