Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

How much should a Condo Home Owners Association keep in a "Reserve

How much should a Condo Home Owners Association keep in a "Reserve Account"? I belong to a small condo association where total annual expenses for 2012 are $289,488. The management company keeps $724,000 in the Reserve account, invested in CD and Cash accounts.

Is that amount excessive??
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under the law there is no maximum reserve an association can keep. Some associations specify their minimum reserve amount in their bylaws. If the bylaws do not specify, the general rule of thumb is 2-3 times the expenses should be held in reserve, since reserves are used for emergency needs of the association. The law does not specify the amount of reserves that they can have I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.