Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

In Ohio, if a borrower consents to foreclosure in exchange

In Ohio, if a borrower consents to foreclosure in exchange for a waiver of the deficiency, will the foreclosure case be dismissed. Is this the same as a DIL?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
.
No, this just means that the lender is giving up the right to come after the borrower for a deficiency judgment since the borrower is not fighting the foreclosure and agreeing to a consent judgment. The title to the property is immediately transferred back to the lender free and clear of all claims. This speeds up the process for the lender and ensures that they don't have to incur all the legal costs of a full foreclosure. The case is still considered a foreclosure against the borrower.
.
A DIL is when the borrower deeds the property back to the lender and the lender actually forgives the outstanding loan balance and dismisses the foreclosure action.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! Just to confirm my understanding: the foreclosure process will still proceed, correct? Just quicker?

That is correct, the debtor just doesn't have to do anything further once the consent foreclosure agreement is entered into. Instead of it taking 5-6 months or longer, it can be over much quicker because there is no fight about the foreclosure.
.
.
Thanks