Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

**VT** Parties A (Seller) and B (Buyer) have agreed to sell/buy

**VT** Parties A (Seller) and B...
**VT**

Parties A (Seller) and B (Buyer) have agreed to sell/buy 10 acres of land for $1000 an acre. Both parties agree that Buyer shall pay for the land in 10 monthly installments of $1000/month. What language in the purchase and sale might there be to prevent the seller from encumbering the property and to ensure that B gets the land upon the last payment? Should there be something recorded in land court to protect B? What might B want to record in land court to protect his interest in the land?
6/10/2013
Richard, Lawyer
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The contract for deed needs to provide that: i) the owner shall transfer title by warranty deed at such time as the buyer has fulfilled his obligations under the contract; ii) that, without buyer's prior written consent, owner shall not cause or allowed to be caused any lien on the property during the period from the time the contract is signed until the deed is transferred to buyer pursuant to the contract; iii) that owner will sign the warranty deed now and deposit it in escrow with an independent title company to be delivered to buyer upon buyer's performance under the contract; and iv) that the contract for deed will be recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located to establish the buyer's priority.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer
Thank you again for the positive rating! It's truly appreciated!!
Richard, Lawyer