How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i get someones name of a deed to a house

This answer was rated:

how do i get someone's name of a deed to a house
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

This depends. Can you please clarify:

1) Does this individual want to give you their deed to the home? If so, is it all paid off from the mortgage?
2) What county and state is this in, please?
3) Or are you simply attempting to find out WHO owns the property?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i own my home with someone who im no longer with. and i would like to remove there name from the deed and mortgage. i live in lehigh county PA


Thank you for your clarification. Can you please tell me:

1) Is there a mortgage on the home?
2) Is this person living, or, have they passed?
3) Do they agree to take their name off the deed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes theres a mortgage there still living and she is willing ti sign over the deed


Thank you, Simon.

In this case, all she has to do is sign a quitclaim deed. A quitclaim deed is a legal document that transfers her interest in the title to yours. PS 16-9781.

You can find a free copy of such a sample deed here. She will need to sign it and have it notarized.

She is the "Grantor." Once she signs the quitclaim, it is filed with the county records office where one can simply state that they wish to "record" the quitclaim deed.

The recorder's office information is below:

Recorder of Deeds Division
Lehigh County Courthouse
Room 122
455 W. Hamilton Street
8:00 AM to 3:45 PM

I hope this helps and clarifies.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your gratuity. One more thing - you may wish to let the lender know of your plans. They should not have an issue with it, but just in case.